Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do You Know Me?

?I was born in Germany and began acting in my homeland, making five movies between 1917 and 1921. I made my first film in America in 1928 and almost immediately was typecast as an eccentric character in various capacities, as psychiatrists and men of higher classes and such like, but mostly you could find me to help you with the best dining experience of your life and to placate your every desire. I even have a favorite customer, who makes grand entrances. I am remembered for showing my displeasure with people who annoy me in a very unusual manner, which was first seen on screen in 1947. Having acted for seven decades in over 190 movies, 500 television shows, 1,000 radio programs and 80 commercials, my last role was that of a mortician in an 1989 movie. I died in 1993 at the age of 93.?

?Do you know me??

Message was edited by: allaboutlana

?Yes, I am Fritz Feld. I was frequently cast as a maitre d? or head waiter, but was a psychiatrist in ?Bringing Up Baby.? First seen in 1947?s ?If You Knew Susie? I would make a popping sound with my hand to my mouth to show my disdain with someone?s conduct, seen also in ?Barefoot in the Park?, ?Freaky Friday? and even on tv, on ?Bewitched?, just to name a few. I also appeared in ?Hello, Dolly? with Barbra Streisand. My last appearance was as a mortician in 1989?s ?Homer and Eddie.?

Your turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Poinciana seems to be MIA, I'll take the thread:

I am the son of show people, and spent much of my childhood with relatives while my parents were on the road. Summers I joined them on the Catskills borscht belt circuit, and from the age of 5 occasionally joined their act with a solo singing number. I quit high school after 1 year and began making the rounds of booking agents while working odd jobs. By age 18 I was an experienced small-time comic, mimicking famous performers whose recordings were played off-stage. By this time I had a wife, who was a vocalist with one of the famous big bands. After WW II, an encounter with another individual eventually gave a huge boost to my career, and the rest is history.

I am the son of show people, and spent much of my childhood with relatives while my parents were on the road. Summers I joined them on the Catskills borscht belt circuit, and from the age of 5 occasionally joined their act with a solo singing number. I quit high school after 1 year and began making the rounds of booking agents while working odd jobs. By age 18 I was an experienced small-time comic, mimicking famous performers whose recordings were played off-stage. By this time I had a wife, who was a vocalist with one of the famous big bands. After WW II, an encounter with another individual eventually gave a huge boost to my career, and the rest is history.

Edited by: finance on Sep 25, 2009 2:25 PM

I was kicked out of my house when I was 17 because I announced I wanted to be an actor. I started on the stage. War broke out. I was a private and eventually was promoted to Captain. I returned to the stage after the war then made it to Hollywood. I was a supporting player in many films.(over 80) Comedy, drama, sci-fi, thrillers.I won the Best Supporting Oscar for a very famous much loved film.My cousin was a famous character actor as well. I've portrayed honorable men and villians. Who am I ?

Yes, I am Edmund Gwenn. My cousin was Cecil Kellaway and my brother was Arthur Chesney.

My brother was in *I Know Where I'm Going* and *The Lodger* (1927) he was married to actress Estelle Winwood at one time. Gwenn's father kicked him out because he did not want him to be an actor. Imagine all the great performances we would have missed had he listened to him. Good job, now it's your thread.

?I was given a stage name I didn?t care for. That?s not who I am. I was in a movie (my fifth) that TIME magazine said contains ?quite possible the best double performances ever put on film.? I won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for it. It was based on a true story of two remarkable people. Why are we here? Some are to be great. Some are to make the great possible.?

?Do you know me??

Edited by: allaboutlana on Sep 30, 2009 4:50 PM

You are right. Ms. Duke was Helen Keller, and Anne Bancroft was Annie Sullivan in THE MIRACLE WORKER. I recently watched it and was blown away by their performances, especially Patty Duke. There are lots of great moments in that film, including that exhausting scene of them at it at the dining room. But, one of my favorite scenes is at the end when Patty goes to Anne and spells teacher and the viewer sees one tear go down her cheek.

Your turn.

I was born in NYC. I dropped out of school at an early age and was established on Broadway as a teenager. I went to Hollywood after success in a major Broadway production, and played troubled youths in a number of features, and was Oscar-nominated. I also made a few recordings. My career faltered after a few years, and I died tragically while still young.

I was born in NYC. I dropped out of school at an early age and was established on Broadway as a teenager. I went to Hollywood after success in a major Broadway production, and played troubled youths in a number of features, and was Oscar-nominated. I also made a few recordings. My career faltered after a few years, and I died tragically while still young.